Thursday, June 16, 2011

Week 23 good to WOW edit Swing/Slides

Time for our edits!  I didn't do much but I really love the changes.  Here goes:

For the two older shots of the boys, I did crop because the photo was not in a 4x6 ratio and ultimately I do print my favorite pictures of the kids (actually I think I have the swing one already cropped and printed somewhere).  I also did a small high pass filter and a hue adjustment.  On SnapDragon in the swing I even masked off the high pass filter on his face because it was just too much--but I liked the effect on the background.  Then I did resize and sharpen all of my photos for the web.
Original
Original
Since they were different shapes the mouseover effect doesn't work very well.  Oh, my baby boys are growing up so fast!  I did use the mouseover effect for the other photos.  I find it a much easier way to see what is different, especially when it is very little.  Basically I ran Nice and Easy, adjusted the levels and the hue layers and added the pink and warming filter layer.

I did crop on this one, add a Softlight duplicate at 17% for a little more pop, and after Ashley's tutorial went back and used that method to lighten her face and eyes just a tiny bit.
Then, because I like to do things more than once after I learned them, and I didn't like how much wasted space there was in this picture but I didn't want a square crop, I played around with adding a circle around Sunflower--inverse selection, fill color white, 40% opacity.  Now I just need some words about childhood and swings.
Okay, maybe I just like to play in photoshop and this set didn't give me the need.
Same edit as above except no crop and not dodging on her face.
I waited to edit this photo until we learned how to dodge/burn with the non-destructive method.  I haven't had a chance to read the link, but really the tutorial was quite enlightening.  I do not understand why it works, but it was the perfect method for this photo.  I did the nice and easy with my usual adjustments and then added the 50% gray layer and painted.
I cropped a little closer and used the gray overlay layer to lighten her face a tiny bit and darken the sky.
All I did was a high pass filter and brighten the colors some.  I love bright colors, so I like it.  I love the tenderness on SnapDragon's face.
That is all of my edits, but I'm going to share one more photo because my itsy-bitty baby boy...
...Huckleberry is graduating from 5th grade into Middle School today.  I don't know when I'll have time to view everyone's edits because we will busy celebrating...and crying.

Be sure to check out all the other great slide/swing photos and edits over at Ramblings and Photos.



Photobucket

8 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

These edits are really nice and clean. I like that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by the other day. Very nice edits.

Unknown said...

nice job, love your colors!

4 Lettre Words said...

SO bittersweet, huh!?!

LOVE the swing edits. Truly amazing!

Unknown said...

Love the edits! :D That last swing one turned out perfectly.

Awww... they grow up so fast!! My oldest turned 12 in January, and when I stop and think and realize that in less than a year he'll be **13** I freak out just a little bit. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love how your edits make the colours just pop! Good job!

Unknown said...

Love all your edits! Isn't that dodge and burn effect very cool?!

Anonymous said...

Really great edits. I love them.