Tuesday, July 5, 2011

100th Post -- Top 5

On my real life blog when I reached my hundredth post I wrote a list of 100 things about me.  That was difficult to do and doesn't seem appropriate for a photography blog.  So I'm going to list 10 things about me and photography and 5 favorite flower pictures from Sunday and 5 favorite pictures of my children (so hard to choose!).  I hope it is okay to combine it all.
Amber's Articles


 1.  I never liked taking pictures of flowers before I got my dSLR in February.  They just were not that interesting to me.  Now I love taking pictures of them.  They are much easier to practice focus with than children.
2.  I never heard the phrase catch lights until Scavenger Hunt Sunday's prompt "Inner Beauty" a few months ago.  Now I'm obsessed with them.
3.  The best way to feel encouraged about your photography is to look at pictures from your past, not to look at other people's work.
4.  I have always loved taking pictures, but I assumed all people with children loved taking pictures.  I thought it was a normal interest not a passion for a hobby.
5.  I still don't have a tripod but I will probably buy one before I buy myself new shoes or clothes or toothpaste again.  There are times when it seems it would be more handy than shoes.

6.  When I prepared these pictures I thought they were all from June, but I think they might be from the first few days of July.  With school's out I didn't really notice the calendar change.  (If that is a problem for Top 5 please let me know; I can look up the date more accurately.)
7.  I feel a little proud that all of these flower shots are SOOC except for some small cropping and sharpening/resizing for the web.
8.  My iPhoto starts running slow at 40,000 pictures, so every time I add pictures I try to delete more than I add/keep from old albums to keep my photos at around 38,500.
9.  It isn't as bad as it sounds to have to delete since about a year ago we paid $800 to have our first 7 years of digital photos recovered--which they did, including ones that had been trashed.  "iPhoto" has them nicely sorted, but there are some that do not need to stay.  It is taking me time to go through them all.  We have two external back-ups now.
10.  It is the math in photography that made me realize that my normal interest was an actual passion and one that I could possibly become good at--not necessarily pro-good--but that I can use numbers to produce the results I want took my "zoom in and shoot" style to an actual desire to study, learn, and improve.  I've been loving it ever since.

There you have it--100 things about me!  (5 flower photos + 5 kid photos) * 10 = 100.  If you are interested in learning more of my secrets you can check out my 100th post at my other blog.  Thanks for stopping by and celebrating my 100th post with me.
Photobucket

19 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

I love the mix of flowers and children. Loving your sharp focus on the eyes.

Nikki Crockett said...

Beautiful pictures...I'm going take #3 and stick it in my pocket. I struggle with this on a daily basis as I look at everyone else's pictures around me. Thanks for the great advice. :)

Kelly said...

Beautiful collection of photos. I love the sharpness of the children.

Leovi said...

Wonderful and varied set with precious and exquisite framing approaches. The portraits are exquisite. I wish you a happy summer.

Anonymous said...

Great photos. I love that first one and the one of them together. So sweet. The flower photos are great too. Thanks so much for linking up with us.

Kristen Laudick said...

Great Photos. Love the eyes.

Lace said...

Number 3 is so true! Just like Nikki, I've been struggling with this lately, too.

Love, love, love the purple flower above #7. Beautiful!

Lisa said...

I love that first photo! The colors are so beautiful!

Susan said...

Oh what fun! Congrats on 100 posts! I love that the flowers are all SOOC, and that you plan on buying a tripod before toothpaste. (I think my favorite is the cactus bloom, so pretty.)

Jennifer said...

Ahhh, I spend too much time on Facebook and am constantly seeking the "like" button to push when I see something fun and wonderful.

So please consider the button pushed for this post today!!!

Alyssa S. said...

Happy 100! I love all of your choices. I adore flowers, so I never get bored with taking pictures of them. With all the wind we've had lately, shooting flowers has become as tricky as shooting the kids (um, with a camera that is).

Amber said...

I, too, love the mix and all of your me/photography words.

I just adore the first one of your son and the last one of your daughter. They are so gentle, yet bold which I have learned is not easy to do. Her curls are the sweetest.

I sooooooo need to go through and delete some of my photos. I store them on Picasa and a hard drive anyways, so I don't know why I keep all of them on iPhoto.

Thanks so much for linking up with us!!!

Reena said...

A great mixture of faces and flowers ... and superbly catpured!

Teachinfourth said...

That second shot down, the one of the boy, I really like how the focus, rule of thirds, and color all draw you in as well as the look in his eyes.

Well done!

Scott said...

Nice photos you posted. I like your mix.

Unknown said...

#2 of your son is stunning! Also love the two of them together - beautiful!

Simon said...

These are gorgeous shots. I especially love your child portraits....and I'm sure they are harder than flowers. No kids-hard to know.
Congrats on winning a pass into Kat's class. You put enough positve energy out there. I was not as lucky but just signed up-so we'll have to keep touch.
Still don't think you "need" it. Your images are beautiful.

Point & Shoot said...

These are all awesome! Love the vividness of the flowers and the kids are too cute...gorgeous eyes.

Courtney said...

I think you nailed the catchlights!! I too love me some catchlights! Your colors look great and I love the composition of the first one of your two kids walking by the geese!! Thanks for linking up with us!!