Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fix It Friday #89

At I heart faces they do a challenge every Friday where they post a photo and then everyone edits it. It is a great way to grow in my understanding of what edits help or hinder a photo and to learn from people who are actually talented. So many places you see a beautiful photo and while I know it started with a talented photographer it is impossible to know how much is SOOC talent and editing talent. I truly think this challenge will help me grow in both skills.

Here is the original photo--it is their photo and only to be used in this challenge.

Here is my first edit:
I used Photoshop Elements 6.
I added a copy of the photo in Screen mode opacity 17%.
I added red to the bricks and blue to the jeans and his eyes by painting on a new layer and then changing the layer to Soft Light mode 100% opacity.
Then the top layer is a copy of the photo Soft Light mode 100% opacity.
I also cropped it down a little more, hopefully making the eyes where you look.

Ummm, I'm going to have to learn the lingo a little better. I really like bright colors and wanted the bricks to stand out even if it detracts from the subject.

But in my second edit, because I got my love of the bricks out of my system, I did things a little differently:
I cropped a bit closer to the subject.
I cloned pieces of the cement and wall to remove the boards.
I did PW 70's action; opacity around 70%. 100% was too washed out for me.
I did a new gradient level, reverse radius, color blue, soft light mode. Then I erased 70% on his face and 30% around his body to bring back the subject.

I enjoyed doing it. Hope you enjoy. If not, well, I learned something! I think.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like how your first edit is so clean and bright, but is not too oversaturated. :)

Sheena said...

I like the bright but saturated color, removed the mild haze in the original. Good stuff!

Number 6 and no more counting! said...

nice. very nice!

lea
xo