Friday, February 3, 2012

Solitude

Today is the start of a new winter challenge -- Poetic Winter.  Today's topic is Solitude.  Personally I love solitude.  Nothing appeals more than the idea of a day completely to myself, okay, not nothing, but it is in the top ten.  But representing solitude in a photo really takes me out of my comfort zone in a great and challenging way.  I hope we aren't supposed to be poetic, too.  I can only work towards mastering one art at a time ever.

This photo I took at a night photography workshop where we took pictures of posed models and practiced using our flash.  It was quite a departure from my usual candid children shots, but she really looks alone (surrounded by 20 photographers with flashes).

When I took the next one, my mind might have decided that the prompt was isolation and not solitude.
All the snow is gone now.

This child is the main reason, for now, that I don't get solitude very often.  Totally worth the sacrifice.

Be sure to check out the other entries at Bumbles & LightSweet VioletProject Alicia or Live and Love out Loud.
Poetic Winter Photography Challenge
Photobucket

14 comments:

Daenel T. said...

That's a great shot of the model. I'd never know you weren't alone. Have a great weekend.

alicia said...

That first shot is beautiful with the shadows- a perfect representation of solitude! I think isolation is synonymous with solitude (I also shared some of those)... Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful photos for the Poetic Winter Challenge. Can't wait to see what you come up with next week for warmth!

Gina Kleinworth said...

Well done- I love that first one. I would love to take a class like that

Linda said...

The first shot is a real shocker when you find out she is not really alone! Lovely shot. The 2nd one is a nice shot - solitude or isolation - either one works for me, but I would say COLD! The last one is just a neat shot...one of my favorite of your subjects! Have a happy weekend...

Susan said...

Nicely done. Love that first shot, & your class sounds like fun!

Unknown said...

i really like the first shot of the model. i would love to take a course learning how to use my flash! sounds like a great opportunity. great captures.

Satakieli said...

The class you're taking sounds like fun, I really need to get better with using my flash! Love the photos, the shadows in the first one are haunting and all the photos are so perfect for the prompt.

Thanks so much for taking part in the Poetic Winter Photography Challenge!

barefoot mama said...

great job!

Saun said...

Well done your first shot is awesome but I do love the tire swing too :)

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud said...

I just love the first shot! And that shot of your little girl set against that huge set of windows? Wow! That really puts the size of that building into perspective!

Thanks for joining us in the Poetic Winter Photography Challenge. If you haven't already downloaded the freebie of the week, stop by my place when you get a chance! Next week's theme will be Warmth. Have a great weekend. :)

Stasha said...

All lovely, but for me Sunflower steals the show.

Serendipityissweet said...

Great photos! I love the moodiness of that first shot and the perspective of the last one.

Aud's Space said...

Love the first one, it really had feeling! Great Job!

Tonya said...

Gorgeous - love them all. The shot of the young woman looks like something out of a magazine. The snow scene reminds me of going outside after a snowstorm, when the snow muffles all sounds and you can feel so alone.

I, too, love solitude, and would like nothing more than an entire day to myself :)